How To Get Paid For Freelance Writing Online: Effective Tips
Recent economic downturns in the early 2000's have led to many to look to freelance work instead of salaried employment. There are several benefits:
- You set your own hours.
- No incompetent supervisors.
- You set your own wages.
More people have moved to freelance writing online because it has all the benefits above and you can work anywhere you have wi-fi. Here are some tips that will help you get paid.
It's cheaper for a business to hire a freelance writer on an ad hoc basis then hire and retain an in-house writer. Remember: Clients are hiring you for your skills so you must stay sharp. Consider doing the following:
- Studying the copywriting of successful writers.
- Take online courses to learn new skills and refresh old ones.
- Reading books on copywriting.
- If you have a niche, read industry publications to keep abreast of important trends.
Gone are the days when you'd need to e-mail site owners to look for work. Here some of the hottest sites to start your career on:
- Elance: With so many jobs you can get a steady income stream just using this site. You'll find clients from across the world so there's no problem finding a profitable niche. The only con is with so many writers the bidding gets competitive.
- People Per Hour: Just like Elance, you search for jobs and place bids but rates are a bit higher and the competition is less stiff.
- Writerinbox: Not a website per se. You pay a set monthly fee and the service sends jobs that may match your strengths to your e-mail.
Create a blog and start cranking out informational articles on marketing and copywriting (the stuff you learned in Number 1). Be sure you embed enough keywords that a search for "copywriter [Your City]" has your name on the first page. That's how you make clients come to you.
Now think of a free e-book or product that you can give to your blog visitors in exchange for their e-mails. Now you've got an e-mail list. Periodically send out a newsletter so your list remembers you and will think of you when they need writing.
Three Simple Tips....
The starving freelance writer is a myth. Just follow these three simple tips and you escape the 9 to 5 rat race forever!